Friday, July 19, 2013

"Going to eat your what now?"

It is always fun to see the look on someones face when explaining placenta encapsulation.



Take my brother for example:

"Did you find a doula thing?"
"Yup, she's even going to encapsulate my placenta."
"Going to what...?"
"Cook it, grind it up, and put it in pills."
"...WHY?"
"So I can eat it."


What would possess me to consume something that was once in my body?
Postpartum depression.
That bottomless pit of despair.
And my natural hatred for anti-depressants.

I'll gladly down a whole bottle of placenta to avoid that again.



Benefits of placenta encapsulation
- Decrease in baby blues and postpartum depression.
-Increased and enriched breastmilk.
-Increased energy.
-Decrease in lochia, postartum bleeding.
-Increased iron levels.
-Promotes better sleep.
-Decreased postpartum "night sweats."
-Balances hormones.
-Combats fatigue.
-Helps uterus contract to pre-pregnancy size.
 

I get to add one more patch on my girl scout sash of all things hippie:
"eating my placenta."



(pictures from prepforbirth.com)

No comments: